In 1940, partitions were removed from the first floor, creating the present dining room. A barn in the yard was razed and its timbers were hewn down and used to replace some of the beams in that room. The area originally contained a famous “prohibition day bar.” At the same time, a new addition containing the Hobby Horse Bar and front lounge was built. The wallpaper used in the lounge and dining room was created by Nancy McClelland and its design was taken from an old hat box. The floors of the addition were constructed of Vermont flagstone, greatly admired for its beautiful patina. Murals in the Hobby Horse Bar were painted by Bobby Walsh, who created murals at the New York World’s Fair in the late 30’s. Porches at the front of the building were removed to create a wider swing in the roadway where the inn stands. Their removal revealed the classic architecture of the building. A bay window replaced the original front door. The graceful fan-light door, which had originally been the entrance form the second story porch, was moved to the newly-created lobby and provides the present entrance
An outdoor terrace was also added. Its floor was constructed of grindstone which, according to records over a hundred years old, were quarried in Nova Scotia, sent by ship to Long Island Sound, and transported up the Connecticut River to Hartford. They were then hauled by oxen to Collinsville where they were used in the making of axes and machetes. In 1954, the Grindstone Terrace was enclosed so that it would be available for year-round use. The room, with its white, wrought iron furniture and raised fireplace, and on a cold winter night a fire may glow on the hearth, illuminating the old iron kettle which hangs over the embers.